Participants in the year-long Leadership Development Program (LDP) will learn valuable leadership skills, gain exposure to the roles and mission of ASCO, and learn about the Society’s powerful place in developing the future of cancer care. This program requires a time commitment for travel and training.
The purpose of this program is to:
- Identify, select, and train mid-career level ASCO members to become future leaders in the Society and other areas of medicine
- Provide leadership skills training through an orientation to ASCO’s structures and programs
- Facilitate the promotion of program graduates into leadership positions in ASCO
Note: ASCO strongly encourages application submissions in all oncology subspecialties
Each year, we limit the class size to 16 participants.
- Attend and actively participate in 5 live meetings
- 1-day session at the ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2019
- 2-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Summer of 2019
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Fall of 2019
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Spring of 2020
- 2-day session at the Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2020
- Your class will be divided into 4 teams and assigned to ASCO strategic issues to research
- Complete team project assignments throughout the year, and develop a presentation to be delivered to the Board of Directors
- Practice acquired leadership skills throughout the year within your project teams
- Participate on weekly conference calls with your LDP team
- Complete course evaluations and alumni surveys
Program Curriculum Outline
2019 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2019)
ASCO Leadership Development Program Orientation Session
Introduction to ASCO President and President-Elect
Oncology Leaders Panel
ASCO President’s Dinner
ASCO Headquarters Summer Session (July/August 2019)
Orientation to ASCO
Introduction to Interactive Learning Projects
Leadership Skills Session: Interpersonal Communication and Teamwork
ASCO Headquarters Fall Session (November 2019)
Visit to FDA
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Conflict Management
ASCO Headquarters Spring Session (March/April 2020)
Interactive Learning Project Presentations
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Increasing Interpersonal Effectiveness
2020 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2020)
Presentations to the ASCO Board of Directors
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Leadership Development meetings and activities, excluding the Annual Meeting.
The Leadership Development Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
For the 2019-2020 Class, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) working in any country
- Must have completed one’s final subspecialty training between 2009 and 2014
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support. The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included.
Note: If at any time during the application or review process you have a career plan change or leave your current position, please email ASCO Professional Development staff.
The application period for the 2019-2020 program cycle is July 1, 2018 – September 25, 2018 (11:59pm ET).