Participants in the year-long Leadership Development Program (LDP) will learn valuable leadership skills, gain exposure to the roles and mission of ASCO, and learn about the Society’s powerful place in developing the future of cancer care. This program requires a time commitment for travel and training.
The purpose of this program is to:
- Identify, select, and train mid-career level ASCO members to become future leaders in the Society and other areas of medicine
- Provide leadership skills training through an orientation to ASCO’s structures and programs
- Facilitate the promotion of program graduates into leadership positions in ASCO
Note: ASCO strongly encourages application submissions in all oncology subspecialties
The Leadership Development Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
For the 2020-2021 Class, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) working in any country
- Must have completed one’s final subspecialty training between 2010 and 2015
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support. The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included.
Note: ASCO will extend an eligibility exception for new child, personal or family illness, or other compelling interruptions in professional development. Candidates who wish to request an eligibility extension, should submit their rationale in writing to the Leadership Development Program Committee via email at ProfessionalDevelopment@asco.org.
- Attend and actively participate in 5 live meetings
- 1-day session at the ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2020
- 2-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Summer of 2020
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Fall of 2020
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Spring of 2021
- 2-day session at the Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2021
- 16 participants are accepted to participate in the annual program
- The class is divided into 4 teams and assigned to ASCO strategic issues to research
- Teams will complete project assignments throughout the year, and develop a presentation to be delivered to the Board of Directors
- Individuals will practice acquired leadership skills throughout the year within project teams
- Participants will partake in standing conference calls with the LDP team
- The class is required to complete course evaluations and alumni surveys
Program Curriculum Outline
2020 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2020)
ASCO Leadership Development Program Orientation Session
Introduction to ASCO President and President-Elect
Oncology Leaders Panel
ASCO Headquarters Summer Session (July/August 2020)
Orientation to ASCO
Introduction to Interactive Learning Projects
Leadership Skills Session: Interpersonal Communication and Teamwork
ASCO Headquarters Fall Session (November 2020)
Visit to FDA
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Conflict Management
ASCO Headquarters Spring Session (March/April 2021)
Interactive Learning Project Presentations
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Increasing Interpersonal Effectiveness
2021 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2021)
Presentations to the ASCO Board of Directors
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Leadership Development meetings and activities, excluding the Annual Meeting.
Applications for the 2020-2021 cycle are now closed. The 2021-2022 class applications will open July 1, 2020.
Please visit the Application Guidelines page for more information and to apply.