Program Details & Eligibility
Participants in the year-long Education Scholars Program (ESP) will undergo learning science and leadership skills training to enhance ASCO's education offerings. Following the completion of the program, participants will be placed on volunteer work groups to integrate evidence-based education into ASCO programs.
- Develop expertise in the design of education activities;
- Apply the latest research in learning science to oncology education within ASCO and their institutions;
- Engage in leadership skills training with an executive leadership coach;
- Advance medical education within ASCO, their institution and the medical community as a whole; and
- Upon program completion, serve on an ASCO volunteer work group to further integrate evidence-based education into ASCO’s programs
The Education Scholars Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
For the 2021-2022 Class, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Completed final subspecialty training prior to the start of the program
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support.
- The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included.
Note: If at any time during the application or review process you have a career plan change or leave your current position, please email ASCO Professional Development staff.
Each year, we limit the class size to 12 participants.
ASCO values class diversity and strongly encourages application submissions from all practice settings and oncology subspecialties
This program requires a time commitment for travel and training. For the 2021-2022 class, participants will be required to attend and actively participate in 6 live meetings:
- 1-day session at the ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2021
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Summer of 2021
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Fall of 2021
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Winter of 2021
- 2-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Spring of 2022
- 2-day session at the Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2022
Participants also are required to participate on bi-weekly conference calls and complete course evaluations and alumni surveys
Program Curriculum Outline
The Education Scholars Program curriculum includes information related to the following:
- Design Thinking
- Mechanisms of Learning
- Instructional Methods
- Memory and Retrieval
- Leadership skills
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Education Scholars meetings and activities in accordance with ASCO’s volunteer reimbursement policy, excluding the Annual Meeting.
Applications for the 2020-2021 cycle are now closed. The 2021-2022 class application will open on July 1, 2020.
Please visit the Application Guidelines page for more information and to apply.