Endowed by the Walther Cancer Foundation, this award and lecture was established to recognize a distinguished lecturer and leader with multiple, significant, and enduring contributions to palliative and supportive care in oncology through the prevention, assessment and management of cancer- and treatment-related suffering.
The Walther Cancer Foundation is a private foundation that supports and promotes interdisciplinary and inter-institutional bench and clinical cancer research, with a special commitment to supportive oncology. The foundation’s goal is to help build cancer programs that provide tangible benefits by expanding the world’s scientific knowledge, by saving lives and by offering hope to patients and their families.
The first award will be presented at the 2017 Palliative and Supportive Care in Oncology Symposium in San Diego, CA.
The award consists of an honorarium, a commemorative plaque, and complimentary registration and travel support for the recipient to attend and deliver a keynote address at the Palliative and Supportive Care in Oncology Symposium.
This award is supported by an endowment established through the generosity of the Walther Cancer Foundation.
- Be an ASCO member
- Have made multiple, significant, and enduring contributions to the field of supportive and palliative care in oncology
- Have demonstrated involvement with and contributions to prevention, assessment, and management of cancer- and treatment-related suffering for patients and families affected by a diagnosis of cancer
- Have held leadership positions, within ASCO and/or elsewhere
- Be a distinguished lecturer
- Full-time employees of pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies are not eligible to be nominated for the Award.
Nominations for the Walther Cancer Foundation Endowed Award and Lecture are solicited by the Palliative and Supportive Care in Oncology Program and Steering Committees. Final selection of the recipient is made by the Special Awards Selection Committee.
Please send all inquiries about this award to Special Awards.