Save the Date!
The date for the 2018 ASCO Research Community Forum Annual Meeting has been announced. Mark your calendars: the 2018 Forum Annual Meeting will be held September 23-24, 2018.
This one-of-a-kind meeting provides an opportunity for physician investigators and research staff, particularly those from community-based sites, to
- Network and collaborate with colleagues from all types of research programs;
- Share best practices for effectively conducting and managing clinical research; and
- Discuss barriers and identify solutions to common challenges.
2017 ASCO Research Community Forum Annual Meeting
Presentations from the ASCO Research Community Forum 2017 Annual Meeting are now available:
Sunday, September 24: Training Workshop Presentations
- How to Succeed with Payers for Patients on Clinical Trials: Understanding Barriers, Dealing with Denials, and Navigating the Appeals Process - Connie Szczepanek, RN, BSN, CCRP, Cancer Research Consortium of West Michigan NCORP | Kelly Willenberg, DBA, RN, CHRC, CHC, CCRP, Kelly Willenberg and Associates | Dax Kurbegov, MD, Sarah Cannon
- Please contact ASCO Research Community Forum staff to access the ASCO Clinical Trials Insurance Coverage Toolkit.
- Role of Molecular and Precision Medicine in Advancing Cancer Research - Edward S. Kim, MD, FACP, Levine Cancer Institute | Richard L. Schilsky, MD, FACP, FASCO, FSCT, ASCO Chief Medical Officer
Monday, September 25: Forum Meeting Presentations
- Welcoming Remarks - Dax Kurbegov, MD, Chair of ASCO Research Community Forum Council, Sarah Cannon | Clifford Hudis, MD, ASCO Chief Executive Officer
- Keynote Address: Advancing Cancer Care through Research Partnerships - Monica Bertagnolli, MD, ASCO President-Elect, Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
- Policy Changes and Impact on Oncology Research - Shimere Sherwood, PhD, ASCO | Alec Stone, MA, MPA, Oncology Nursing Society | Lora Black, RN, MPH, Sanford Health
- Reducing Administrative and Regulatory Burden - Michael A. Thompson, MD, PhD, Aurora Health Care | Andrea Buchmeier, BS, CCRC, LSSGB | Kandie Dempsey, DBA, MS, RN, OCN, Christiana Care Health Services
- ASCO Initiatives to Support the Research Community - Stephen Grubbs, MD, FASCO, ASCO | Patricia Hurley, MSc, ASCO
- Leveraging Community Experiences to Accelerate Cancer Insight - David Waterhouse, MD, Oncology Hematology, Inc. | Brenda Adjei, MPA, EdD, National Cancer Institute | Debra Patt, MD, MPH, MBA, Texas Oncology | Stephen Grubbs, MS, FASCO, ASCO | Steve Meersman, PhD, CancerLinQ
- Building Strategic Partnerships - Greg Nowakowski, MD, Mayo Clinic | Howard A. Burris III, MD, FACP, FASCO, Sarah Cannon | Kert D. Sabbath, MD, Smilow Cancer Center | Leslie Byatt, CPhT, CCRC, New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance
- Closing Remarks - Dax Kurbegov, MD, Sarah Cannon
This year's meeting featured workshops on insurance coverage of clinical trials and molecular and precision medicine, in addition to:
- A networking event;
- A keynote address by ASCO President-elect, Monica Bertagnolli, MD;
- Small group discussions on key topics affecting cancer research sites today; and
- Presentations by leaders in the cancer research field spanning topics such as cancer care delivery research and big data, the impact of federal and state policies on cancer research, and reducing administrative and regulatory burden.
2016 ASCO Research Community Forum Annual Meeting
Bringing the Research Community Together to Share Collective Wisdom
Nearly 100 physician investigators and research staff from all types of research sites across the country attended the 2016 ASCO Research Community Forum Annual Meeting. Held at ASCO Headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia, the meeting included panel discussions on adaptive clinical trial designs, the role of research in value-based care, and clinical trial access. Participants also engaged in breakout discussion sessions on key topics related to administrative and regulatory burden associated with conducting and managing clinical trials. This activity was approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Read more about the meeting in ASCO in Action.