Since 2014, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has published a series of annual State of Cancer Care in America™ reports to examine important trends in the cancer care delivery system.
Beginning in 2018, ASCO is broadening its State of Cancer Care in America initiative to include national events with thought leaders and experts from the cancer care community and a series of timely, in-depth articles that examine practice issues that impact the delivery of efficient, cost-effective, high-quality cancer care. Learn more about the new series in the introductory editorial published in the Journal of Oncology Practice.
The State of Cancer Care in America article series features original research, editorials, and commentaries from ASCO leaders and invited stakeholders that explore the current challenges, opportunities, and trends in the delivery of high-quality cancer care. The articles are featured as a special series in the Journal of Oncology Practice.
- **NEW** The State of Oncology Practice in America 2018 (Published June 15, 2018) -- Examines important trends in the oncology practice landscape, including practice concerns, the oncology workforce, and practice ownership.
- Read the full article.
- Read the ASCO in Action summary.
- View an infographic on key highlights from the article.
- Download graphics about practice pressures, trends in the practice landscape, consolidation of oncology practices, access to cancer care in rural and Southern U.S., and readiness for the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
- View and adapt slides from a PowerPoint presentation about the article.
- Supporting the Future of the Oncology Workforce: ASCO Medical Student and Trainee Initiatives (Published on April 20, 2018) – Provides overview of initiatives to attract and support medical students and oncology trainees who are about to enter the workforce.
- The Impact on Oncology Practices of Including Drug Costs in Bundled Payments (Published on April 12, 2018) – Explores the destabilizing impact of including cancer drug costs in bundled payments under Medicare and demonstrates that Medicare reimbursement would vary widely depending on the mix of patient conditions practices treat, rather than the quality of care they provide.
- Read the full article.
View State of Cancer Care reports from prior years.
On January 31, 2018, ASCO hosted the inaugural State of Cancer Care in America event, Precision Medicine: Expanding Opportunities. The event focused on the United States’ most urgent challenges in precision medicine and strategies to ensure new therapies are available to individuals with cancer.