The Research Professorship provides funding to full professors who have made significant contributions to cancer research and are dedicated to mentoring the next generation of researchers.
The Research Professorship is a five-year grant totaling $500,000. The award is not designed to cover the total cost of a research project or the investigator’s entire compensation, but can be used at the discretion of the awardee to support their overall research activities. Conquer Cancer has awarded the Research Professorship in the following areas:
- Comparative Effectiveness Research in Breast Cancer
- Drug Development
- Translational Research
The number of Professorship grants in each funding cycle is not predetermined by Conquer Cancer. Awards are given based on individual merit and availability of funds.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to qualify for the Research Professorship:
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent with explanation) working in any country with a full-time faculty appointment in a clinical department at an academic medical center
- Currently hold the rank of full professor (or equivalent) at an academic medical center. If applicant does not hold the rank of full professor, but meets all other eligibility criteria, he/she must provide written explanation of why his/her current rank at their institution should be considered equivalent
- Made significant contributions that have changed the direction of cancer research
- Be serving as a research mentor to researcher(s) in training, and must be planning to continue to provide leadership in the area throughout the award period
- Lead a research team in conducting cancer research
- Be an ASCO member in good standing or submit a membership application with grant application
- Expect to spend 75% of time during the award period dedicated to research (applies to total research, not just the proposed project), including leading a team of researchers (in the lab and/or clinic) and mentoring junior faculty and trainees
- Individuals with an endowed professorship from their own institution are eligible to apply for this award.
- Individuals with administrative responsibilities (such as a Division or Department Chair) must clearly document their time commitment for performing research activities and mentoring activities
All applications must be submitted in accordance to the requirements and instructions of the Research Professorship Request for Proposals (RFP). All application materials must be in English and must be submitted through the Grants Portal. Paper applications or applications sent by e-mail or fax will not be accepted.
Research Professorship was first awarded in 2008. To date, we have funded seven ASCO Research Professors totaling $3 million.
The 2018 Research Professorship is supported by:
This list reflects commitments as of July 15, 2018.
This grant receives support that may result in a report to the CMS Open Payments website under the Physician Payments Sunshine Act. The supporting companies are required to report the amount of the grant, the names of physicians who are awarded this grant, and the names of their institutions. This information may appear on the Open Payments website. Find out more information about the Sunshine Act and CMS Open Payments program.