The pre-publication review and dispute process for the Open Payments 2019 program year has begun. Physicians and teaching hospitals may review and dispute any updated records attributed to them until May 15. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will publish its Open Payments program year 2019 data and any updates to previous program years’ data in June 2020.
How to Review Data
Conducting an annual review of payments reported under your name on the federal government’s Open Payments website is an important way to make sure that your record is accurate. To review any updated records, please keep in mind and review the following:
- Records that are eligible for review and dispute are those that have been submitted during the submission period of the current calendar year, and re-attested records from previous calendar years. For detailed information see the Physician and Teaching Hospital Review and Dispute Tutorial.
- Disputes must be initiated by May 15, 2020 in order to be reflected in the June 2020 data publication. For more information on review and dispute timing and publication refer to the Review and Dispute Timing and Data Publication Quick Reference Guide.
- CMS does not meditate or facilitate disputes and physicians and teaching hospitals should work directly with reporting entities to resolve disputes.
- Registration in the Open Payments system is required in order to review and dispute records.
How to Register
If you have never registered with Open Payments before, make sure you have your National Provider Identifier (NPI) number and State License Number (SLN). Users that have registered during previous program years do not need to re-register.
Initial registration is a two-step process:
- Register in the CMS Enterprise Identity Management System (EIDM);
- Register in the Open Payments system
For more information, Contact the Open Payments Help Desk at email@example.com or call 1-855-326-8366.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology also encourages their members to check or update the accuracy of their disclosures at COI.asco.org.
Visit ASCO in Action for updates on the Open Payments program and breaking cancer policy news.