WHAT: The U.S. cancer care delivery system is facing unprecedented challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cancer care teams and the patients they serve are navigating significant barriers to high-quality care and impossibly difficult choices regarding allocation of potentially life-saving medical resources to critically ill patients. Across the country, in all settings of care, providers and patients are dealing with social distancing; scarce protective equipment; treatment interruptions or alterations; a near-overnight shift to telehealth; halted clinical trials denying some patients access to their best treatment option; reduced or eliminated incomes due to stay-at-home orders; and COVID-19-positive diagnoses in providers, patients and caregivers. Further, in many communities, cancer screenings and some surgeries have been postponed until the pandemic subsides-a situation that could have long-term negative consequences.
The ASCO presscast will feature a panel of experts focusing on the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on the cancer care delivery system, the response by federal agencies, and steps the cancer care community has taken to mitigate the impact of coronavirus. The panel will provide the very latest on this evolving situation and an announcement of ASCO's recommendations to the Administration and Congress.
- Howard A. "Skip" Burris, MD, FACP, FASCO; ASCO President; Chief Medical Officer and Executive Director, Sarah Cannon Research Institute (Nashville, TN)
- Anand Shah, MD, FDA Deputy Commissioner for Medical and Scientific Affairs (Silver Spring, MD)
- Richard L. Schilsky, MD, FACP, FSCT, FASCO; ASCO Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President (Alexandria, VA)
- Melissa Dillmon, MD, FASCO; Chair, ASCO Government Relations Committee; Hematologist/Oncologist, Harbin Clinic Cancer Center (Rome, GA)
- Jonathan Marron, MD, MPH, FAAP; Chair-Elect, ASCO Ethics Committee; Attending Physician, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Dana-Farber/Boston Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Center (Boston, MA)
- Dr. Gary Lyman, MD, MPH, FASCO, FACP, FRCP; Senior Lead, Hutchinson Institute for Cancer Outcomes Research (Seattle, WA)
WHEN: Thursday, April 23, 2020; 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET
Questions: Please contact Melissa Lee at Melissa.Lee@asco.org or 571-483-1661.