On Feb. 15, 2017, ASCO leadership and members of the ASCO Government Relations Committee (GRC) met with key federal agency and congressional committee staff to discuss ASCO's top policy priorities. Discussions focused on federal efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA), implementation of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) and the 21st Century Cures Act, among other matters.
The day of meetings included two sit-downs with members of the House Doctors Caucus. ASCO volunteers met with caucus Chair, Rep. Phil Roe (R-TN), and caucus member, Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX), to discuss how the society can continue to engage with the group in the new Congress. The meetings also covered including drug prices in MACRA resource use scores, ASCO’s Principles for Patient-Centered Healthcare Reform, and Medicaid reform.
In a dozen meetings, ASCO members met with members of and staff from:
- Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation
- CMS Center for Clinical Standards and Quality
- Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
- National Association of Medicaid Directors
- National Cancer Institute
- National Quality Forum
- Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
- Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee
- United States Food and Drug Administration
Stay tuned to ASCO in Action for the latest news as advocacy on these issues advances.