ASCO Research Community Forum Remembers Patrick Gavin, RPh
The ASCO Research Community Forum mourns the loss of Council member, Patrick Gavin, RPh, who passed away on December 18, 2017, at age 68. Mr. Gavin, was a 10-year cancer survivor who turned his personal experience with cancer into a mission to help other patients, clinicians, and policymakers improve the way cancer research is done. As an active ASCO volunteer member, he was actively engaged in the ASCO Cancer Research Committee, ASCO Research Community Forum Council, the TAPUR Study Publications Group, an ASCO roundtable addressing financial barriers to clinical trials (hosted by the ASCO Health Disparities Committee), and a guideline panel on neuropathy. Additional information about Mr. Gavin is available in his obituary and also on the ASCO Connection website.
Howard A. "Skip" Burris III, MD, FACP, FASCO, Elected ASCO President for 2019-2020 Term
ASCO Research Community Forum (RCF) Council member, and former RCF Chair, Howard A. "Skip" Burris III, MD, FACP, FASCO has been elected to serve as the President of the American Society of Clinical Oncology for the term beginning in June 2019. Dr. Burris is a long-time ASCO and RCF contributor and has served in various roles on ASCO’s volunteer committees, in addition to serving on the ASCO Board of Directors and Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Board of Directors. For more information, read the article on ASCO Connection.
Date Announced: Research Community Forum 2018 Meeting
Save the date for the 2018 ASCO Research Community Forum Annual Meeting. The 2018 meeting will be held September 23-24, 2018 at ASCO Headquarters in the Washington, DC metro area. Stay tuned to the Forum Annual Meeting page for more information.
Need Help Determining Insurance Coverage of Clinical Trials?
An RCF Working Group has developed an Insurance Coverage of Clinical Trials Toolkit, containing sample checklists, templates, and forms to assist research sites with effectively determining insurance coverage of clinical trials, dealing with coverage denials, and navigating the appeals process. The Toolkit was developed in conjunction with a hands-on training workshop held at the ASCO Research Community Forum 2017 Annual Meeting. To access the Toolkit, please contact ASCO Research Community Forum staff.
Research Community Forum 2017 Annual Meeting
The ASCO Research Community Forum 2017 Annual Meeting was held on September 24-25 at ASCO Headquarters. The meeting featured a keynote presentation by ASCO President-elect, Monica Bertagnolli, MD on the value of research partnerships, in addition to presentations by leaders in the cancer research field spanning topics such as cancer care delivery research and big data, the impact of federal and state policies on cancer research, and reducing administrative and regulatory burden. For more information, check out ASCO in Action.
Tools and Resources are Impacting Research Programs
Research sites from across the United States and internationally continue to access the tools developed through the Forum. There have been over 250 downloads of the ASCO Research Program Quality Assessment Tool and over 200 research programs registered to use the ASCO Clinical Trial Workload Assessment Tool. Check out the Projects & Tools for more information.
- 2017 Research Community Forum Annual Meeting Summary: Advancing Cancer Through Research Partnerships
- Centralizing Coverage Analyses for Multi-Site Clinical Trials: Description of Journal of Oncology Practice (JCO) article reporting findings from a collaboration with the National Cancer Institute (NCI) that explored centralizing the development of coverage analyses for multi-site cancer clinical trials. (May 2017)
- ASCO-AACI Best Practices Initative: Description of Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO) article reporting the outcome of an ASCO-AACI workshop. The workshop focused on administrative and regulatory burdens in conducting cancer clinical trials and findings from the resulting stakeholder survey. (September 2016)
- Research Contract Negotiations: Description of Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP) article reporting findings from a Research Community Forum survey and Recommendations for Improvements. (May 2016)
- ASCO Clinical Trial Workload Assessment Project: Description of JOP article reporting on assessment of 51 research sites. The Forum-developed Clinical Trial Workload Assessment Tool was found to be easy and effective. (March 2016)