ASCO is committed to supporting cancer care providers and patients affected by Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Maria and other natural disasters with resources and information.
How You Can Help
ASCO's Conquer Cancer Foundation has established a Hurricane Relief Fund dedicated to help people with cancer who are in need of critical support services. Charitable gifts to the Conquer Cancer Hurricane Relief Fund are tax-deductible – and 100% of the donations will be disbursed by Conquer Cancer through a partnership with CancerCare® to help affected cancer patients. Donate now.
Resources for Care Providers
For practice inquiries, please email or call Julia Tomkins (571-483-1651) or Allison Hirschorn (571-483-1653).
American Cancer Society Transportation Services in Puerto Rico
Clinicians in Puerto Rico may call 877-901-2862 or email the following information to request ground transportation to and from treatment for patients:
- Patient information: Name, date of birth, pick-up address, phone number, cancer type
- Treatment facility: Date and time of appointment, name, address, number of people riding, ambulatory (yes/no), trip type (one way/round trip), approximate length of appointment
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Resources:
- Reminder of Pharmacy and Provider Access during a Federal Disaster or Other State or Public Health Emergency Declarations
- Hotline for non-certified Part B providers to initiate temporary Medicare billing privileges
- Additional information for providers, plan sponsors, and facilities
- Florida Society of Clinical Oncology
- Florida State Medical Society
- Louisiana Oncology Society
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Oklahoma Society of Clinical Oncology
- Texas Society of Clinical Oncology
- Texas Medical Association
Resources for Patients
Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Resources:
- Disaster Distress Helpline: Call 1-800-985-5990 or text "TalkWithUs" to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor
- HHS-supported temporary medical sites in Puerto Rico
- Emergency Prescription Assistance Program
The NCI Contact Center can help with disaster preparation, updates, and finding care, Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Eastern time.
- 1-800-4-CANCER - After business hours, recorded information is available
- Online LiveHelp® chat
CancerCare, which provides free professional support services to help patients and caregivers manage the emotional, practical and financial challenges of cancer, can provide information about local and regional resources to help address the needs that arise as a result of a hurricane's impact.
Cancer.Net has helpful information for patients:
- After a Hurricane: 6 Things People with Cancer Should Know
- ASCO and NCI Patient Information Wallet Card
- What Should I Do During an Emergency or Natural Disaster?
- Top Food Safety Tips for Severe Weather
Information is also available in Spanish: