ASCO recognizes the critical role patient advocates play in helping people with cancer, and their caregivers, access accurate, reliable, and timely information about their disease and treatment options. As the world’s leading professional organization for physicians and oncology professionals, ASCO offers patient advocates the tools, resources, and opportunities they need to provide the most effective support for patients and their caregivers.
Patient Advocate membership is available to individuals who are:
- Employed by or volunteer for a nationally or internationally recognized tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization dedicated to advocacy for patients with cancer, or survivorship;
- Actively engaged in the cancer research community, serving as patient representatives at public and/or private institutions that involve a network of researchers, physicians, and healthcare professionals; and
- Working on behalf of a recognized local or state cancer organization, functioning in roles such as community outreach, patient education, patient support, fundraising, navigation, and public policy education.
Annual Dues: $150, plus a $35 one-time initiation fee
Exclusive Benefits of Patient Advocate Membership
Premier Oncology Periodicals
- Gain free online access to Journal of Oncology Practice
- Save over 50% on an individual subscription to Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO) in print and online
- Get discounted online access to JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics and JCO Precision Oncology
- Enjoy open access to Journal of Global Oncology
- Receive a 10% discount off of open access article publishing charges for all journals
- Get the latest oncology updates from Cancer in the News, ASCO Express, The ASCO Post,* and ASCO Connection
Career and Educational Development Resources
- Gain access to a special Patient Advocate rate of only $25 for ASCO University Essentials
- Save 20% on all professional and patient educational products and resources from the ASCO University Bookstore
- Network with your colleagues using the online membership directory, myConnection, ASCO's LinkedIn group, and ASCOconnection.org
- Find a job with ASCO’s Oncology Career Center
Exclusive Access and Savings at ASCO Meetings
- Participate in Patient Advocacy Programs at the ASCO Annual Meeting, including discounted registration and exhibit space, access to the Patient Advocate Lounge, special networking sessions, and more
- Submit up to two abstracts as presenter and first author for the ASCO Annual Meeting with a sponsor signature from a Full member
- Gain advance access to Members' Only Registration and Hotel Reservations and Ticketed Sessions for the ASCO Annual Meeting
Eligibility for ASCO Activities
Best Practice Tools
- Download ASCO’s suite of mobile applications, such as the ASCO iMeeting app and The ASCO Post app
- Discover the latest best practices with tools like ASCO Guidelines and clinical trial resources
Legal and Regulatory Updates
- Use online advocacy tools and resources such as ASCO in Action and the ASCO ACT Network
- Utilize new online Medicare coverage resources, including a guide for MACRA, Carrier Advisory Committee, and more
* International members receive The ASCO Post online only.
Emeritus membership is available for Patient Advocate members who are 70 years or older, fully retired and no longer in the health care field, or permanently disabled. Emeritus members are entitled to Patient Advocate member benefits at no cost, along with full online access to all ASCO journals. If you wish to receive the print editions of Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO) and Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), you have the option to subscribe to these publications at the ASCO member annual rate of $290 for JCO and $60 for JOP.