Poster sessions provide a forum at ASCO meetings and co-sponsored meetings for informal discussion between researchers and attendees. Designing an effective poster gives attendees an opportunity to learn about your research in an easy-to-understand format. The tips below will give you the tools you need to assemble an impactful poster.
Download tips and guidelines for creating your poster.
Size Limitations for All Posters
Posters presented at ASCO meetings and co-sponsored meetings can be no larger than 47-inches high and 95-inches wide (120 cm high by 240 cm wide). This is the size of the poster board. For those preparing posters, please do not exceed the size of the poster board.
Suggestions for Formatting Your Poster
- Write your presentation concisely and keep captions brief. The poster should be self‐explanatory so that you are free to supplement the information and discuss points raised by questions during the poster session.
- Format of poster is LANDSCAPE (horizontal).
- Place heading in large‐sized type at the top of the board.
- List the title and all authors.
- All material should be readable from distances of three feet or more.
- You are strongly encouraged to use a type that is at least 3/8" high (22 pt. minimum).
- Use bold type to ensure legibility.
- Make all print very dark (preferably block style) on a very light (preferably white) background. Use letters, arrows, numbers, or other devices to show those who will be viewing your poster the preferred sequence in which your poster should be reviewed.
- Charts, drawings, and illustrations should be like those you would use in making power point slides.
- If photographs are used, have them processed with a matte or dull finish.
- Please clearly print one email address on your poster for attendees to refer to should they have any questions or comments at a time when you are not standing with your poster. If you do not wish to print your own email address, please list another email address for an appropriate contact person for your abstract.
- The poster can either be made on one sheet (rollup) or in several small sections. Do NOT mount illustrations on heavy cardboard because they may be difficult to keep in position on the poster board.
Inclusion of Quick Response (QR) Codes
If you choose to include a Quick Response (QR) Code on your poster, you must also include the following disclaimer on both print and electronic versions of your poster: "Copies of this poster obtained through QR Code are for personal use only and may not be reproduced without permission from ASCO® and the author of this poster." Written authorization is not required, unless your QR code links to the full text of your abstract, which would be considered a reprint.
Special Note on Use of Commercial Materials
ASCO is committed to minimizing commercial bias in poster presentations and handouts. Poster presentations and handouts should not contain any of the following: commercial logos, company names, or brand or proprietary drug names. Cooperative groups, hospitals, and non-profit company logos are permitted.
To make your meeting experience as seamless as possible, ASCO is pleased to provide a convenient, competitively priced poster printing service that allows you to electronically submit your poster for printing then pick it up on-site at the Meeting. No more worries about how to travel with your poster to the meeting. Additionally, this poster printing service, provided by Call4Posters, offers PowerPoint templates at no-cost to help you build your poster, or you may upload your own single-page PowerPoint, image, or PDF poster file.
To Upload Your Poster and Use the Printing Services:
To upload your poster and use the printing services, please have the first author log onto the Speaker Center Website. Please note the abstract details will only appear in the Speaker Center portal for the first author of an abstract. Once the first author logs in, please click the "My Presentations" link on the left and the abstract title will appear below. Click on the abstract title and scroll down to the "Poster Resources" box. In that box is a customized link to order a printed poster using our vendor, Call4Posters.
Posters ordered through ASCO's vendor, Call4Posters, can be picked up in the Poster Session room directly next to the Poster Assistance Desk. If you need to contact Call4Posters regarding poster printing, please call 507-323-8500 or email. Please be sure to include the Symposium title, abstract number, and first author's name in your inquiry.
Call4Posters Customer Service: If you have any questions as you prepare your poster, Customer Support is available to help via email or 1-866-759-5440 or 507-323-8500 from 8:00 AM- 4:00 PM (EST) Monday-Friday.