Trainee & Fellow Resources
ASCO supports oncology trainees and early career oncologists by offering free Member-in-Training membership to oncology trainees and discounted Full Member membership dues for oncologists within their first 3 years post oncology subspecialty training.
The specialized ASCO early career programs and resources that are available to ASCO Members-in-Training and Early Career Members are outlined below. View other ASCO membership benefits.
Please contact ASCO Professional Development for more information on these opportunities.
Grants & Research Development
- Conquer Cancer Grants & Awards: Conquer Cancer offers grants and awards to support young investigators in their clinical and translational cancer research endeavors. View more information and available funding opportunities.
- Merit Awards: Trainees with high-quality abstracts who are accepted to present at ASCO live meetings can receive $1,000 and complimentary registration. Trainees can apply for a Merit Award during the abstract submission process. View more information.
- FDA/ASCO Fellows’ Day Workshop: A daylong workshop that provides domestic trainees with an introduction to the U.S. FDA and the oncology drug and device regulatory process. Details on scheduled workshops and upcoming application cycles will be shared with training programs as they are available.
- Methods in Clinical Cancer Research Workshop: In partnership with AACR, ASCO offers this week-long workshop covering the essentials of clinical trial protocol development annually in Vail, Colorado. The Workshop is open to oncology trainees and junior faculty within 5-years of their oncology subspecialty training. View more information.
Education & Career Development
- ASCO Education’s EEOF package: Provides trainee members with access to valuable oncology education courses and self-evaluation tools at a discounted price.
- Medical Oncology In-Training Exam: Test your medical oncology knowledge and see how you compare to other fellows in the U.S. in this multiple-choice exam.
- Job Search Support: ASCO offers an online Career Center for job seekers to review and apply for open positions at organizations across the country. Each Fall, ASCO offers virtual Mock Job Interviews during which trainees to meet with an experienced oncologist and receive feedback on their interview skills, job talk, and ask questions.
- Specialized Sessions: ASCO offers specialized sessions in both a live and virtual format throughout the year. At the ASCO Annual Meeting, the Trainee & Early Career Lounge offers a full program of early career-focused sessions. Throughout the year, virtual sessions are offered on various career development and job search support topics.
- Virtual Mentoring Program: Year-long structured mentorship program available to trainee and early career members. Mentees are paired with a more experienced oncologist, and the pair work together to address the mentee’s goals through virtual meetings and ASCO mentoring workshops.
- Situational Mentoring: One-time, one-on-one meetings are available for trainee and early career members to meet with a more experienced oncologist to receive career advice. Virtual meeting opportunities are offered throughout the year and in-person meetings are offered in the Trainee & Early Career Lounge at the ASCO Annual Meeting.
- ASCO Journals Trainee Reviewer Mentoring Program: Every year, each ASCO journal pairs selected mentees with experienced journal reviewer mentors. This opportunity is designed to help trainees and early career professionals enhance their peer-reviewing skills and submit supervised team reviews to the journals. View more information.
- ASCO Journals Editorial Fellowship: This fellowship is designed to provide trainees and early career professionals (within 1-year post-subspecialty training) with a broader understanding of the scientific publishing process through one on one mentorship with editors, as well as through hands-on experiences in peer review and publishing of medical research manuscripts.
- myConnection Online Community: Stay up to date on ASCO’s offerings and engage in discussion with other trainee and early career members through this online platform. Access the community here.
- Volunteer With ASCO: Volunteer service provides the opportunity to shape ASCO’s direction and network with other members. Trainee and early career members are eligible to apply for volunteer service across all ASCO initiatives. View more information and complete a volunteer application.
- Trainee & Early Career (TEC) Council: ASCO has a volunteer group for trainee and early career members, the Trainee & Early Career Council, that oversees ASCO’s early career initiatives. Please indicate Trainee & Early Career Development as part of your ASCO volunteer application to be considered for the TEC Council.
- ASCO Advocacy: ASCO’s Advocacy efforts seek to increase federal funding for research, provide greater health care access, value in cancer care, and payment reform. View ASCO’s Advocacy Toolkit to learn how to become involved!
The Membership Directory is your go-to tool for finding and interacting with other members. Designed to keep you in touch with like-minded colleagues, the Membership Directory app enables you to build your professional network, connect with colleagues at meetings and easily provide other members’ information to patients seeking a referral. Using the app, members can search by name, organization, specialty and/or certification.