The application for the 2022-2023 ASCO Leadership Development Program is now closed. The application period for the 2023-2024 ASCO Leadership Development Program will open in July 2022.
Participants in the year-long Leadership Development Program (LDP) will learn valuable leadership skills, gain exposure to the roles and mission of ASCO, and learn about the Society’s powerful place in developing the future of cancer care. This program requires a time commitment for travel and training.
The purpose of this program is to:
- Identify, select, and train mid-career level members to become future leaders in the Society and other areas of medicine
- Provide leadership skills training through an orientation to ASCO’s structures and programs
- Facilitate the promotion of program graduates into leadership positions in ASCO
Note: ASCO strongly encourages application submissions in all oncology subspecialties
The Leadership Development Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) working in any country
- Must have completed one’s final subspecialty training between 2012 and 2017*
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support. The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not a member, a supporting letter from a member must be included.
*Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ASCO is extending eligibility criteria for the 2022-2023 class to include those who completed their final sub-specialty training in 2011. As usual, ASCO will also extend an eligibility exception for new child, personal or family illness, or other compelling interruptions in professional development. Candidates who wish to request an eligibility extension should submit their rationale in writing to the Leadership Development Program Committee.
- Attend and actively participate in 5 live meetings
- 1-day session at the ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2022
- 2-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Summer of 2022
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Fall of 2022
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA in the Spring of 2023
- 2-day session at the Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2023
- 16 participants are accepted to participate in the annual program
- The class is divided into 4 teams and assigned to ASCO strategic issues to research
- Teams will complete project assignments throughout the year, and develop a presentation to be delivered to the Board of Directors
- Individuals will practice acquired leadership skills throughout the year within project teams
- Participants will partake in standing conference calls with the LDP team
- The class is required to complete course evaluations and alumni surveys
Program Curriculum Outline
2022 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois
ASCO Leadership Development Program Orientation Session
Introduction to ASCO President and President-Elect
Oncology Leaders Panel
ASCO Headquarters Summer Session
Orientation to ASCO
Introduction to Interactive Learning Projects
Leadership Skills Session: Interpersonal Communication and Teamwork
ASCO Headquarters Fall Session
Visit to Food & Drug Administration
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Conflict Management
ASCO Headquarters Spring Session
Interactive Learning Project Presentations
ASCO Department Presentations
Leadership Skills Session: Increasing Interpersonal Effectiveness
2023 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois
Presentations to the ASCO Board of Directors
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Leadership Development meetings and activities, excluding the Annual Meeting.
The application for the 2022-2023 ASCO Leadership Development Program is now closed. The LDP application period was from July 1, 2021, to October 22, 2021. If you have questions about the LDP application, please email ProfessionalDevelopment@asco.org.
Please visit the Application Guidelines page for more information and to apply.