RESEARCH PROFESSORSHIP FOR DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN BREAST CANCER
The Conquer Cancer – Breast Cancer Research Foundation Research Professorship for Diversity and Inclusion in Breast Cancer will provide flexible funding to outstanding researchers who have made, and are continuing to make, significant contributions in breast cancer research and will dedicate their time in training future breast cancer researchers. This Professorship is designed with the primary goal of increasing diversity in the leadership of the oncology workforce and cancer research. An award will be given to an established investigator who is a member of racial and/or ethnic groups traditionally excluded in academic medicine and breast cancer research. The investigator must hold the rank of full professor and is dedicated to mentoring the next generation of researchers.
The Research Professorship is a five-year grant totaling $500,000. The award is not designed to cover the total cost of a research project or the investigator’s entire compensation but can be used at the discretion of the awardee to support their overall research activities. Conquer Cancer has awarded the Research Professorship in the following areas:
- Breast Cancer Disparities
- Comparative Effectiveness Research in Breast Cancer
- Drug Development
- Translational Research
For 2022, Conquer Cancer has funding for one award with a focus on Diversity and Inclusion in Breast Cancer Research. Download the RFP.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to qualify for the Research Professorship for Diversity and Inclusion in Breast Cancer:
- Self-identify as a member of a racial and/or ethnic group traditionally excluded in academic medicine according to the AAMC definition (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders). For international applicants, it is recognized that underrepresentation can vary from setting to setting and individuals from racial or ethnic groups that are demonstrated to be traditionally excluded by their institution but not listed above are also eligible to apply for this program. Individual demographic information will be requested upon application.
- Currently hold the rank of full professor (or equivalent) at an academic medical center. If applicant does not hold the rank of full professor, but meets all other eligibility criteria, he/she must provide written explanation of why his/her current rank at their institution should be considered equivalent.
- Made significant contributions in the area of breast cancer research.
- Lead a research team in conducting research on breast cancer.
- Be serving as a research mentor to researcher(s) in training and/or junior faculty and must be planning to continue to provide leadership and mentoring in breast cancer research throughout the award period. Mentees must be enrolled in an approved oncology subspecialty training program or in the first three years of faculty appointment.
- Be a full member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in good standing or submit a membership application with grant application.
- Expect to spend 75% of time during the award period dedicated to research (applies to total research, not just the proposed project), including leading a team of researchers (in the lab and/or clinic) and mentoring junior faculty and trainees on breast cancer research.
- Individuals with an endowed professorship from their own institution are eligible to apply for this award.
- Individuals with administrative responsibilities (such as a Division or Department Chair) must clearly document their time commitment for performing research activities and mentoring activities.
- Eligible applicants are allowed to hold only one active grant from Conquer Cancer at a time.
All applications must be submitted in accordance to the requirements and instructions of the Research Professorship Request for Proposals (RFP). All application materials must be in English and must be submitted through the Application Portal. Paper applications or applications sent by e-mail or fax will not be accepted.
The Research Professorship is funded through Conquer Cancer®, the ASCO Foundation by these generous donors.
This list reflects commitments as of March 5, 2022.
This grant receives support that may result in a report to the CMS Open Payments website under the Physician Payments Sunshine Act. The supporting companies are required to report the amount of the grant, the names of physicians who are awarded this grant, and the names of their institutions. This information may appear on the Open Payments website. Find out more information about the Sunshine Act and CMS Open Payments program.