This page was last updated on 1/28/2021. Please check back frequently for updates.
How should care for patients with cancer types (e.g. breast cancer, lung cancer) be affected?
This section provides links to disease-specific information that has been released by other organizations.
- The American Society of Breast Surgeons has published information on triage, prioritization, appropriate care, and reentry into therapy for patients with breast cancer available on its COVID-19 resource center.
- The American College of Surgeons has published information on the triage of patients with breast cancer for surgery.
- An American multi-organizational panel has published recommendations on the triage, prioritization, and treatment of breast cancer (Dietz et al, Breast Cancer Res Treat). An international group has also published recommendations on the same topic (Curigliano et al, Breast)
- An American group from Johns Hopkins Women’s Malignancies Program has published information on care for patients with breast cancer (Sheng et al, JCO Oncol Pract)
- The European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) has published information on care for patients with breast cancer (de Azambuja et al, ESMO Open)
- An American group of oncologists has developed recommendations for minimizing risks to patients with gastrointestinal malignancies. (Lou et al, JCO Oncol Pract)
- The US Colorectal Cancer Alliance has published information on care for patients with colorectal cancer (Marshall et al, Colorectal Cancer)
- A French multi-institution group has published information on care for patients with peritoneal tumors (Glehen et al, J Visc Surg)
- ESMO has published information on care for patients with pancreatic cancer (Catanese et al, ESMO Open) and colorectal cancer (Vecchione et al, ESMO Open)
- A British group from multiple centers has published information on the care of patients with pancreatic cancer (Jones et al, Br J Cancer)
- Canadian recommendations on prioritizing systemic therapy in patients with genitourinary malignancies has been published. (Lalani et al, Can Urol Assoc J)
- An editorial in European Urology has presented considerations for the triage of patients for urological surgery, including patients with genitourinary malignancies (Stresland et al, Eur Urol)
- The Canadian Urologic Oncology Group and the Canadian Urological Association have published guidelines for care of patients with prostate cancer (Kokorovic et al, Can Urol Assoc J)
- Wallis et al, Eur Urol conducted a systematic review that provides information on the potential risks associated with delaying therapy for various genitourinary cancers.
- A British group has published information on care for patients with urothelial cancer (Patel et al, Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol))
- The German Cancer Society has published information on systemic therapy for patients with advanced/metastatic renal cell carcinoma during the pandemic (Ivanyi et al, J Cancer Res Clin Oncol).
- Uwins et al, Int J Gynecol Cancer published a synthesis of recommendations for the care of patients with gynecological cancers during the pandemic issued by more than 25 different governmental and professional organizations.
- The editors of the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer have published information for the management of patients with those cancers. (Ramirez et al, Int J Gynecol Cancer)
- The National College of French Gynecologists and Obstetricians have published recommendations for the surgical management of gynecological cancers during the COVID-19 pandemic (Akladios et al, J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod)
- An American multi-institutional group has published recommendations for anti-cancer therapy and surveillance for recurrence of patients with gynecological cancers (Pothuri et al, Gynecol Oncol)
- ESMO has published information on the management of patients with gynecological malignancies (Columbo et al, ESMO Open)
Head and neck cancer
- The French Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (SFORL) and French Society of Head and Neck Carcinology (SFCCF) have published consensus recommendations on the management of patients requiring head and neck cancer surgery (Fakhry et al, Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis). Similar recommendations have been published by the Canadian Association of Head and Neck Surgical Oncology (O’Connell et al, J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg)
- The MD Anderson Head and Neck Surgery Treatment Guidelines Consortium has published detailed cancer-site specific recommendations for triage for head and neck cancer surgery (Head et al, Head Neck)
- The American Society of Hematology has released information related to several different malignancies.
- The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance has published guidance on managing patients with hematological malignancies (Percival et al, JCO Oncol Pract)
- Multiple Myeloma
- A Brazilian task force has published recommendations on the management of patients with lymphoid malignancies (Perini et al, Hematol Transfus Cell Ther)
- The French Society for the fight against Cancers and Leukemias in children and adolescents has published information on the management of young patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Rouger-Gaudichon et al, Bull Cancer)
- An Australia/New Zealand consensus statement on care for patients with lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia and myeloma is available (Di Ciaccio et al, Intern Med J)
- The International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA) has released information related to are of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. The Asia-Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL) has released similar information (Shiina et al, Hepatol Int)
- An international group has published recommendations on the management of primary hepatic malignancy (Barry et al, Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol)
- An American group published recommendations on the management of lung cancer (Singh et al, JCO Oncol Pract). An international group has published similar recommendations (Dingemans et al, J Thorac Oncol). ESMO has published recommendations as well (Passaro et al, ESMO Open)ESMO has published recommendations as well (Passaro et al, ESMO Open)
- A panel assembled by the journal Chest has published recommendations on the management of lung nodules and lung cancer screening (Mazzone et al, Chest)
- The Thoracic Surgery Outcomes Research Network has published information on triage for thoracic surgery for patients with thoracic malignancies (Ann Thorac Surg)
- The American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)/Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) Tumor Section and the Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO) have published general information on care of patients with brain tumors and brain metastases (Ramakrishna et al, J Neurooncol)
- Information specific to the management of patients with glioma has been published by two international multi-disciplinary groups (Mohile et al, Neuro Oncol, Bernhardt et al Neuro Oncol)
- A multi-disciplinary international panel has published information on appropriate care for patients with neuroendocrine neoplasms (Rodriguez-Frexinos et al, Eur J Cancer)
- The Sarcoma European and Latin American Network has published information on prioritization of care for patients with various forms of sarcoma (Martin Broto et al, Oncologist)
Skin cancer and cutaneous lymphoma
- An Italian group from the Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli Hospital has published detailed recommendations on the triage of patients with skin cancer (Tagliaferri et al, J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol)
- The United States Cutaneous Lymphoma Consortium has published recommendations on the treatment of cutaneous lymphoma (Zic et al, J Am Acad Dermatol)
- A British group from multiple centers has published recommendations on the care of patients with melanoma (Nahm et al, Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol))
- The European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Cutaneous Lymphoma Task Force (CLTF) has published information on the care of patients with cutaneous lymphoma (Papadavid et al, J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol)
- The Society of Surgical Oncology has published information on surgery for several different disease sites; a summary of this guidance has been published (Bartlett et al, Ann Surg Oncol)
Multiple cancer types
- An Australian group has published detailed information on multiple cancer types (Segelov et al, JCO Oncol Pract)
- The Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society for Haematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO) have published information on care for multiple cancer types (Giesen et al, Eur J Cancer)
- ESMO has published information on general supportive care of all cancer patients (Aapro et al, ESMO Open)
Subpopulation-specific Information: Is there any information specific to subpopulations of patients with cancer?
- Falandry et al, J Geriatr Oncol, Mohile et al, J Geriatr Oncol, and Battisti et al, J Geriatr Oncol have all published recommendations on the care of elderly patients with cancer during the pandemic.
- A multi-organizational group has published recommendations on care for pediatric patients (Sullivan et al, Pediatr Blood Cancer)
- The International Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Guideline Harmonization Group has published information on risk factors and care for survivors of childhood, adolescent, and young adult onset cancer (Verbruggen et al, Pediatr Blood Cancer)