This page was last updated on 1/06/2021. Please check back frequently for updates.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Survey on COVID-19 in Oncology Registry (ASCO Registry) aims to help the cancer community learn more about the patterns of symptoms and severity of COVID-19 among patients with cancer, as well as how COVID-19 is impacting the delivery of cancer care and patient outcomes. The ASCO Registry is designed to collect both baseline and follow-up data on how the virus impacts cancer care and cancer patient outcomes during the COVID-19 pandemic and into 2021.
- ASCO Registry Study Schema
- ASCO Registry FAQs
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) Exemption Letter
- Memo Regarding Registry Updates – Version 2
- ASCO Registry Patient Tracker
Sample Data Collection Forms
ASCO will deliver periodic reports with key findings so that the oncology community has real-time information to help inform treatment approaches for patients with cancer who have a confirmed COVID-19 infection. The reports will allow practices to easily and confidently share information on COVID-19 infections among their patients.
Who is eligible?
The registry is open to all U.S. oncology practices, including physician-owned, academic, and hospital/health system-owned practices, and hospitals (regardless of whether cancer specific). ASCO plans to make funding available to practices to help cover research data-entry costs.
ASCO Registry Acceptable for MIPS Improvement Activity
ASCO’s Survey on COVID-19 in Oncology Registry (ASCO Registry) is an acceptable clinical trial registry for the attestation of the high-weighted practice Improvement Activity (IA), “COVID-19 Clinical Trials related to the Emergency Response & Preparedness,” under the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
All oncology practices are encouraged to participate. The following practices have enrolled in the ASCO Registry.
- AIS - Cancer Center - Bakersfield (Bakersfield, CA)
- Anchorage Oncology Centre (Anchorage, AK)
- Augusta University (Augusta, GA)
- Aultman Hospital (Canton, OH)
- Baptist Clinical Research Institute (Memphis, TN)
- Baptist Health Madisonville (Madisonville, KY)
- Bayhealth Medical Center (Dover, DE)
- Bayonne Medical Center (Bayonne, NJ)
- BSA Harrington Cancer Center (Amarillo, TX)
- Callahan Cancer Center (North Platte, NE)
- Carepoint Health Christ Hospital (Jersey City, NJ)
- CarolinaEast Medical Center (New Bern, NC)
- Carteret Health Care (Morehead City, NC)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (Cincinnati, OH)
- CMH/OHSU Knight Cancer Center (Astoria, OR)
- Edward Elmhurst Healthcare (Naperville, IL)
- East Carolina University (Greenville, NC)
- Florida Precision Oncology, a Division of 21st Century Oncology (Fort Myers, FL)
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, PA)
- Gene Upshaw Memorial Tahoe Forest Cancer Center (Truckee, CA)
- Good Samaritan Hospital (Corvallis, OR)
- Goshen Center for Cancer Care (Goshen, IN)
- Great Lakes Cancer Management Specialist (Grosse Pointe Woods, MI)
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center (Baltimore, MD)
- Hartford Healthcare Cancer Institute (Hartford, CT)
- Hawaii Cancer Care (Honolulu, HI)
- Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- Hematology Oncology Associates of Central New York (East Syracuse, NY)
- Hematology Oncology Associates of Fredericksburg (Fredericksburg, VA)
- Illinois Cancer Care (Peoria, IL)
- Infirmary Cancer Care (Mobile, AL)
- Joliet Oncology-Hematology Associates (Joliet, IL)
- Lakeland Hospitals (St. Joseph, MI)
- Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health (Charlotte, NC)
- LifeBridge Health, Inc. (Baltimore, MD)
- Long Beach Memorial Medical Center (Fountain Valley, CA)
- Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY)
- Michiana Hematology Oncology (Mishawaka, IN)
- Monument Health - John T Vucurevich Cancer Care Institute (Rapid City, SD)
- Mosaic Life Care (St. Joseph, MO)
- Nebraska Hematology-Oncology (Lincoln, NE)
- Nebraska Cancer Specialists (Omaha, NE)
- NorthShore University HealthSystem (Evanston, IL)
- Northwell Health Cancer Institute (Lake Success, NY)
- Oncology Hematology Care, Inc. (Cincinnati, OH)
- Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center (Fountain Valley, CA)
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health - Ann B Barshinger Cancer Institute (Lancaster, PA)
- Penn Medicine Princeton Oncology (Plainsboro, NJ)
- PIH Health (Whittier, CA)
- Saddleback Memorial Medical Center (Fountain Valley, CA)
- Saint Agnes Hospital (Baltimore, MD)
- Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE (Denver, CO)
- Sarah Cannon Research Institute/Florida Cancer Specialists & Research Institute, LLC (Sarasota, FL)
- Sarah Cannon Research Institute/MidAmerica Oncology Associates, LLC (Overland Park, KS)
- Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Tennessee Oncology, PLLC (Nashville, TN)
- Tri County Hematology and Oncology (Massillon, OH)
- Tufts Medical Center (Boston, MA)
- University of Kansas Medical Center (Kansas City, KS)
- University of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha, NE)
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC)
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA)
- Virginia Cancer Institute (Richmond, VA)
- Virginia Cancer Specialists (Alexandria, VA)
- Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
The registry collects data about patients undergoing cancer treatment who have a confirmed prior or current COVID-19 infection. Specifically, the registry will collect data about patients with cancer and patients who are cancer-free receiving adjuvant cancer therapy within a year of cancer surgery, including patients receiving hormone-only adjuvant therapy and patients receiving supportive care only.
How do we enroll our practice?
Click on “Enroll Your Practice” to enter your practice information and access the research and data use agreement. After reviewing the protocol schema, research and data use agreement, and central Institutional Review Board (IRB) exemption letter, interested practices should submit the completed research and data use agreement to CENTRA@asco.org. Once the research and data use agreement is executed, ASCO will provide the Registry website link for data entry.
From that point, practices will:
- Enter initial data on patients with cancer who have confirmed COVID-19 disease. Required data includes:
- Limited patient identifying data, including home zip code, date of birth, gender, race, ethnicity, type of cancer, and comorbidities
- COVID-19 status, including symptoms, treatments, and outcomes
- Current cancer status, including treatment plans, any changes to treatment plans, and response to treatments
- Provide any follow-up patient data on COVID-19 and cancer outcomes (ideally on a weekly or biweekly basis, but at least once per month) over an 18-month period.
ASCO will list participating practices on the ASCO Registry website. Practices may withdraw from the registry at any time.
Please contact CENTRA@asco.org for additional information or questions.
ASCO is grateful for the timely and thorough input from our Cancer Research Committee (CRC) and Research Community Forum (RCF) leadership on who advised on key elements of the ASCO Registry.
- R. Donald Harvey III, PharmD, FCCP, FHOPA; Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
- Chair, ASCO CRC
- Edward S. Kim, MD, FACP, FASCO ; Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health (Charlotte, NC)
- Immediate Past-Chair, ASCO RCF
- Heidi D. Klepin, MD, MS; Wake Forest Baptist Health (Winston-Salem, NC)
- Immediate Past Chair, ASCO CRC
- Abdul-Rahman Jazieh, MD, MPH; King Abdulaziz Medical City, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, King Abdullah International Medical Research Center (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)
- Immediate Past-Chair, ASCO International Affairs Committee
- Kathryn F. Mileham, MD, FACP; Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health (Charlotte, NC)
- Chair-Elect, ASCO CRC
- Grzegorz S. Nowakowski, MD; Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN)
- Chair-Elect, ASCO RCF
- Alexander I. Spira, MD, PhD, FACP; Virginia Cancer Specialists (Alexandria, VA)
- Member, ASCO CRC
- Jaap Verweij, MD, PhD, FASCO; Erasmus University (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
- ASCO Board Liaison, ASCO CRC
- David M. Waterhouse, MD, MPH; Oncology Hematology Care, Inc. (Cincinnati, OH)
- Chair, ASCO RCF