Thank you for your interest in ASCO’s 2020 Advocacy Summit. Due to the ongoing public health situation and expected restrictions on Capitol Hill, ASCO has made the difficult decision to cancel in-person events associated with the Advocacy Summit this September and transition to a virtual summit. We are excited about the opportunity to continue our advocacy on the issues important to oncologists and their patients.
Grassroots advocacy continues to be as important as ever, even virtually. Lawmakers and their staff are eager to hear from their constituents on the issues that impact them and have grown accustomed to virtual meetings. We’re counting on our 2020 Advocacy Summit as we do every year to help advance ASCO’s top priorities, and your participation is critical to that goal.
Your voice matters. As oncologists, you are uniquely qualified to communicate with Congress about effective policies for the treatment of patients with cancer and the research that drives scientific breakthroughs. You do not need to have advocacy experience to participate in the 2020 ASCO Virtual Advocacy Summit – ASCO will provide the tools and information necessary for successful virtual meetings with your lawmakers.
This virtual conference features an exciting lineup of guest speakers and opportunities that will empower you and your colleagues to:
- Advocate to improve the research, delivery and quality of cancer care;
- Engage influential lawmakers and their staff in meaningful discourse; and
- Learn how to communicate our message from advocacy experts and ASCO leaders.
- Please click here to view and download the e-binder, which contains all the materials you will need ahead of your meetings on September 16th including helpful documents on accessing your schedule, getting into WebEx events, tips for posting to social media, and more.
- Leave behinds have been sent prior to your meetings to congressional offices on your behalf.
- Please click here to access your schedule for congressional meetings on September 16th. A how-to guide for the scheduling platform can be found in the e-binder.
- Please click here to view the Virtual Hill Meeting Training - What to Know & What to Say recording. Please click here to view and download the slides from the training.
- Please click here to view Prepare for Success: Advocacy Tool and Tips with Nicole Tisdale. Please click here to view and download slides from the training.
Schedule of Events
Times are subject to change
Wednesday, September 9
5:00 PM – 5:30 PM EST: Presentation of ASCO's Congressional Champion for Cancer Care Award to Representative Rosa DeLauro (CT-03) (Live webinar)
- Virtual Hill Meetings Walk-Through
- Congressional Outlook
- Legislative Messaging
Thursday, September 10
- The Importance of Advocacy
- What Really Influences Legislators
- Telling a Story vs. Sharing Stats
- We Met, Now What?
Tuesday, September 15
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST: Virtual Office Hours with a Pro with Nicole Tisdale, Founder and Principal at Advocacy Blueprints & Former Hill Staffer (Live Webinar)
- Nicole will be available for the hour to answer any questions you may have regarding her presentation or anything else advocacy related
Wednesday, September 16
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM EST: Coffee with ASCO staff (Live Webinar)
- Get last minute answers or advice before your virtual congressional meetings
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST: Virtual phone and video congressional meetings with your lawmakers.
- Meetings will be scheduled on your behalf andwith your time zone in mind
7:30 PM - 9:00 PM EST: Political Outlook & 2020 Elections with Nathan Gonzales, Inside Elections (Live Webinar)
- Tune in to hear from a veteran Washington DC insider who has covered elections for over a decade. Nathan will discuss the current state of play and what to expect in this fall's biggest races.
- Final Summit materials will be sent out prior to the Advocacy Summit in September.
Additional Questions, Concerns or Cancellations
Whether or not you are able to join us in September – make sure you are a member of ASCO's ACT Network to stay at the forefront of advocacy. The ACT Network provides opportunities to become engaged in advocacy, including the ability to send a message using pre-drafted editable alerts, find phone numbers and mailing addresses for your elected officials, learn how your member of Congress votes on the key issues, and draft your own message by letter or email to your member of Congress.
Advocacy Summit Videos: Please take a moment to view these brief videos of ASCO leaders outlining the importance of Advocacy and ASCO’s Advocacy Summit messages from previous Summits.
- Past American Society of Clinical Oncology President (2019-2020), Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, MD, FACP, FASCO, speaks on the importance of ASCO's annual Advocacy Summit in 2019.
- ASCO Government Relations Chair, Melissa Dillmon, MD, FASCO, discusses step therapy and prior authorization and why ASCO is on Capitol Hill to address these issues in 2019.
- Jason Westin, MD, MS, FACP, talks about the importance of doctors advocating for their patients in 2019.
- Karen Winkfield, MD, PhD, discusses the importance of the CLINICAL TREATMENT Act, and the need for Medicaid coverage of clinical trials, in 2019.
- Kurt R. Oettel, MD, spoke about the importance of advocating on Capitol Hill in 2018.