The shifting healthcare landscape in the United States has significantly expanded the scope and diversity of policy issues ASCO addresses on behalf of its members and has prompted the need for strong volunteer leaders who understand and can communicate ASCO’s policy priorities.
To respond to this need, ASCO is now accepting applications for the third year of its prestigious Health Policy Fellowship, which provides a formal professional development program to build policy expertise among the Society’s members and volunteers. The one-year fellowship is designed to give oncologists the unique skills necessary to monitor and shape the regulatory and legislative policies that directly affect the practice environment and impact patients with cancer and their care teams.
The ASCO Health Policy Fellowship program will include:
- Practical experience working with ASCO policy/advocacy staff in crafting policy positions and statements;
- Small-group teaching sessions delivered by ASCO professional staff and qualified volunteers;
- Training in communication and leadership skills, as well as advocacy strategies; and
- A mentored research project that advances or leverages an ASCO policy initiative.
The fellowship term will run from July 1, 2018 – July 1, 2019. Applications are open to oncologists in the United States at any stage of their career.
ASCO encourages members to share information on this program with their colleagues. Applications must be submitted by January 19, 2017. Please visit the “Call for Applications” web page for more details.
- Read an interview with the 2016-2017 fellows in The ASCO Post about their experience with the Health Policy Fellowship.
- Watch a short video about the Health Policy Fellowship program.
- Read a blog post on the program by ASCO’s Immediate Past President, Daniel F. Hayes, MD, FACP, FASCO.