ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Twenty-Four practices in two countries elevated their standard of care and achieved Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) Certification in the third quarter of this year. The American Society of Clinical Oncology, Inc. (ASCO®) commends these practices that have demonstrated their commitment to providing the highest-quality oncology care to their patients, communities, and contemporaries.
"These practices have demonstrated their commitment to continuous improvement as they strive to provide high-quality care for their patients," said ASCO President Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, MD, FACP, FASCO. “The extra time and resources they have put into achieving this voluntary certification shows their dedication to meeting national guidelines and standards for their respective communities.”
For the third quarter of 2019, the following practices achieved QOPI Certification or Re-Certification, which is valid for a three-year period:
- Advent Health Cancer Institute – Orlando, FL
- AMITA Health – Hinsdale, IL
- Centra Hematology Oncology Clinic – Lynchburg, VA
- Contemporary Oncology Team – Athens, Greece
- Crystal Run Healthcare, LLP – Middletown, NY
- Edwards Comprehensive Cancer Center – Huntington, WV
- MaineGeneral Cancer Care – Augusta, ME
- New England Cancer Specialists – Scarborough, ME
- Northwell Health Cancer Institute – Lake Success, NY
- North Shore Hematology Oncology Associates PC – Port Jeff Station, NY
- OHC – Cincinnati, OH
- Oncology and Hematology of South Texas, P.A. – Laredo, TX
- Riverside Peninsula Cancer Institute – Williamsburg, VA
- Perlmutter Cancer Center at Winthrop Oncology Hematology Associates – Mineola, NY
- Presbyterian Medical Group-Medical Oncology – Albuquerque, NM
- Regional Cancer Care Associates, LLC – Central Jersey Division – East Brunswick, NJ
- Rush University Medical Center – Chicago, IL
- Schiffler Oncology – Wheeling, WV
- Smilow Cancer Hospital Network – New Haven, CT
- SSM Medical Group, Inc. – St. Louis, MO
- St. Josephs/Candler - South Carolina Cancer Specialists – Hilton Head, SC
- The Queen’s Medical Center – Honolulu, HI
- University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center – Albuquerque, NM
- Victory Hematology and Oncology – Sherman Oaks, CA
QOPI® is a voluntary self-assessment program that helps oncology practices assess and improve the quality of the care they provide to patients. More than 750 oncology practices have registered for QOPI, including international practices such as the one in Greece listed above.
The QOPI® Certification Program, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of ASCO that began in 2010, recognizes the delivery of high-quality care to patients in outpatient hematology-oncology practices. The QOPI Certification Standards serve as the framework for the program and as a guide to the best practices in oncology care. Individual practices are eligible to receive QOPI Certification based on their compliance with QOPI standards as assessed during an on-site survey. The QOPI quality standards address practice performance in several key areas, including:
- Creating a safe environment—staffing, competencies, and general policy
- Treatment planning, patient consent, and education
- Ordering, preparing, dispensing, and administering chemotherapy
- Monitoring after chemotherapy is given, including adherence, toxicity and complications.
More than 300 practices worldwide have current QOPI Certification. View the names and locations of all Certified practices around the world.
ASCO is dedicated to innovative quality improvement programs, such as QOPI and QOPI Certification, to foster the delivery of high-quality patient care around the world. For more information, please visit: https://practice.asco.org/quality-improvement/quality-programs.
Founded in 1964, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Inc. (ASCO®) is committed to making a world of difference in cancer care. As the world’s leading organization of its kind, ASCO represents nearly 45,000 oncology professionals who care for people living with cancer. Through research, education, and promotion of the highest-quality patient care, ASCO works to conquer cancer and create a world where cancer is prevented or cured, and every survivor is healthy. ASCO is supported by its affiliate organization, the Conquer Cancer Foundation. Learn more at www.ASCO.org, explore patient education resources at www.Cancer.Net, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.