Open Payments Database: Program Year 2019 Data Submission Happening Now
ASCO wants to help participants in its activities to successfully report their disclosures. Annual submission and review of payments reported under your name in the U.S. Federal Government’s Open Payments website is helpful way to make sure that information reported about you is accurate. With all transfers of value being reported publicly by health care companies through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Open Payments database (research payments, reprints, meals, travel, textbooks, etc.), you will want to be sure to submit your data and review your profile for accuracy on an annual basis.
Program Year 2019 data submission opened on February 1, 2020 and will continue through March 31, 2020. Reporting entities may now submit Program Year 2019 data and any new or updated records from previous program years at www.cms.gov/OpenPayments.
Open Payments and ASCO Activities
ASCO may be required to report certain payments made from manufacturer funding to U.S. physicians. Payments or transfers of value made to physicians indirectly through a professional organization like ASCO or a charitable organization like the Conquer Cancer Foundation are reportable if the manufacturer knows that money will be paid to physicians or earmarks money to go to physicians.
ASCO uses a general disclosure model, requiring disclosure of relationships regardless of their relevance or connection to a particular ASCO activity. The Open Payments database is populated by companies that make payments to physicians, and not by ASCO. All participants in ASCO activities are encouraged to double check their ASCO disclosure against other sources – including Open Payments – to identify any publicly reported interactions with Companies that may have been inadvertently omitted.
How to Register and Review Your Data
Physicians must use the CMS Enterprise Portal to review, affirm, or dispute their Open Payments data. To get started:
- Complete an e-verification process by logging into the CMS Enterprise Portal (EIDM).
- Register in the Open Payments Program.
- Review and dispute data by Dec. 31 of the current year
- The Open Payments User Guide provides step-by-step instructions.
Key Dates for an Open Payments Program Year
|Program Activities||Program Timeline|
|Industry collects data||January 1-December 31 of program year|
|Industry submits and attests to data in the Open Payments system||February-March of the calendar year after the program year|
|Physicians and teaching hospitals review the reported data and dispute any data they believe is inaccurate; Industry makes corrections to the data (reflected in the initial publication)||
Review and dispute period: April-May
AM/GPO Correction period: May-June
|Initial program year initial data publication Prior program year data refresh publication||June 30|
|Physicians and teaching hospitals continue to review and dispute data; industry continues to make corrections to the data (reflected in the data refresh publication)||June 30 – December 31|
|Open Payments data refresh||Early in the following year|
- Companies will report all payments or transfers of value—including payments for research, travel, honoraria and speaking fees, meals, educational items like textbooks and journal reprints—whether made directly to a physician or teaching hospital or indirectly through a third party.
- Because CMS only requires reports annually, a lengthy gap could occur between when the payment is made and when the report becomes available to a physician from CMS.
- Physicians can ask companies to make them aware that the company plans to make a report.
- Physicians can ask companies to develop a mechanism for challenging a planned report
- ASCO and the Conquer Cancer Foundation have made a commitment to physician members to clearly communicate in advance when an ASCO or Foundation activity could result in a report. Members will have the opportunity to decline participating in an activity to avoid having ASCO report information back to a manufacturer.
- ASCO will continue to communicate important information regarding disclosure responsibilities.
Resources From CMS
- Learn how to register to review (and dispute) your financial data.
- Step by step guides available.
- Already registered? Login here.
- Use the search tool to look up doctors, hospitals, or companies.
- Download the data sets.
- Interact with all the data sets.
- Open Payments FAQ
- Send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keep track of your data with CMS’ free smartphone app for Apple® and Android platforms.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Open Payments Program was created to bring transparency to financial relationships between physicians, teaching hospitals, and the pharmaceutical industry by publicly publishing data on financial interactions. The Open Payments database is designed to increase access to, and knowledge about, such relationships. Anyone may access, search and download the data. ASCO supports public disclosure of relationships with companies as one essential element critical to maintaining both professional and public trust.