Annual Meeting Media Resource Center
- Embargoed media presscast highlighting research from ASCO Proceedings I: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 12:00-1:30 PM (EDT)
- Embargo lifts on ASCO Proceedings I abstracts from the 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 6:00 PM (EDT)
- Onsite registration to attend the Annual Meeting in Chicago closes: Wednesday, May 22, 2013
ACCESS TO EMBARGOED MATERIALS, REGISTRATION INFORMATION
ASCO's Media Headquarters is where you can go to apply for media credentials, register to attend an upcoming meeting, and access embargoed meeting information. For questions about how to navigate the site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that media registration is a two-step process:
- Accreditation – Please refer to the 2013 Annual Meeting Media Policies for eligibility information.
- Registration – Once media credentials are approved, you will be able to log back into Media Headquarters and submit an onsite registration request for the Symposium. Please note: the deadline to register to attend the Annual Meeting in Chicago was May 22, 2013.
MAY 15 PRESSCAST
OPENING PRESS BRIEFING
Watch the replay of the opening press briefing, held on Friday, May 31.
JUNE 1 HIGHLIGHTED RESEARCH OF THE DAY PRESS BRIEFING
CANCERLINQ PRESS BRIEFING
JUNE 2 HIGHLIGHTED RESEARCH OF THE DAY BRIEFING
JUNE 3 HIGHLIGHTED RESEARCH OF THE DAY
Studies Highlight Advances in Lung and Breast Cancer Treatment and Prevention, Offer New Insight on the Nation’s Cancer Drug Shortages
CHICAGO – New findings from large clinical trials were released today at the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). The studies identified a promising new targeted therapy for advanced lung cancer and two breast cancer treatment alternatives that can reduce the risk of debilitating side effects. In addition, researchers described new genomic findings that could help reduce breast cancer disparities in African American women, and showed that cancer drug shortages continue to adversely affect patient care in the United States. See full release here.
Landmark Studies Offer New Hope for Reducing Cervical Cancer Deaths Worldwide, First Therapies for Two Rare Cancers and Treatment Advances for Breast, Brain Cancers
CHICAGO – Five pivotal studies were released today ahead of the plenary session of the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Abstracts selected for the ASCO’s plenary session represent the meeting’s most important clinical cancer research, having the highest scientific merit and the greatest impact on oncology research and practice. See full release here.
ASCO Completes Electronic Data Sharing Standard for Breast Cancer Treatment Effort in Conjunction with Developing CancerLinQ™
CHICAGO – The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has completed the first phase in developing several sets of interoperability standards for cancer care data and overcoming the widespread inconsistencies that currently limit secure sharing of information between providers, patients and researchers. The first standard, the Breast Cancer Treatment Plan and Summary Standard and Implementation Guide was announced at ASCO’s 49th Annual Meeting and will be published later this summer. The standard was discussed at a briefing where the Society also demonstrated the prototype of CancerLinQ™, ASCO’s health information technology (HIT) initiative to achieve higher quality, higher value cancer care with better outcomes for patients. See full release here.
Important Advances in Treatment for Multiple Aggressive Cancers, and New Insight on HPV-Related Cancer Risk
CHICAGO – New advances against melanoma, ovarian cancer, and colorectal cancer care were presented today at the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Researchers also announced reassuring findings on HPV infection among partners of patients with HPV-positive head and neck cancers. See full release here.
ASCO Kicks Off 2013 Annual Meeting Underscoring Modernization of Clinical Cancer Research, Warning That Funding Cuts Threaten Progress
CHICAGO – The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) marked significant progress toward modernizing clinical cancer research during the opening press briefing of the Society’s 49th Annual Meeting, but warned that advances against cancer could stagnate as a result of recent cuts to U.S. biomedical research funding. See full release.
ASCO Releases Studies from Upcoming Annual Meeting
ALEXANDRIA, Va. - The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) today highlighted seven studies in a presscast from among more than 4,500 abstracts publicly posted online at abstract.asco.org in advance of ASCO’s 49th Annual Meeting. See Full Release
2013 ASCO Annual Meeting Press Program Announced
ALEXANDRIA, Va. – The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) today announced the studies to be featured in the 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting press program. See Full Release
Conquer Cancer Foundation Recognizes Outstanding ASCO Annual Meeting Research; Announces Diversity in Oncology Awards
ALEXANDRIA, Va. –The Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) announces today the recipients of the 2013 Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Awards, Resident Travel Awards, Medical Student Rotation Awards and Oncology Travel Trainee Awards. These awards support young cancer doctors, recognize high-quality research, and help foster diversity in oncology. See Full Release
- 2013 Annual Meeting Press Program Schedule At-A-Glance
- ASCO Photo Gallery
- Cancer.Net: ASCO’s award-winning patient website, provides comprehensive, oncologist-approved information on more than 120 cancer types, together with expert information on cancer treatments, managing side effects and coping with a cancer diagnosis. When the site first launched in 2002, there were detailed sections on 22 different types of cancer. Now, Cancer.Net continues to lead the way in content, design, and interactivity, providing patients, their families and friends with timely and authoritative information.
- CancerProgress.Net: offers a detailed, interactive timeline of advances against 17 of the most common cancers. The site also includes simple, interactive charts on cancer survival, mortality, and incidence, along with downloadable timelines, historical commentary and other reporting resources.
- Visit the Virtual Press Room to view third party press releases related to the 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting
- 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting website
- Search Annual Meeting Abstracts
- Search for sessions on ASCO's iPlanner
Please note: Media cannot save itineraries using their Media HQ username and password; you must have an asco.org guest user account to use this feature.
- Meeting Program (PDF)
- Virtual Meeting
(Login information provided to credentialed reporters through ASCO's Media HQ)
For more meeting resources, please refer to the "Print-Friendly Resources" section of this page.
PRINT-FRIENDLY MEETING PUBLICATIONS
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Please do not send media registration requests to this email address.
Media Registration Questions
Questions About New Annual Meeting Embargo Policies
All requests must be submitted in writing.
Follow Us During the Meeting #ASCO13
Live Truck Parking
Kelly Baldwin, email@example.com
General Questions About the Meeting
Kelly Baldwin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Blackburn, email@example.com