The best cancer care starts with the best cancer information. Well-informed patients are their own best advocates and invaluable partners for physicians. Cancer.Net (www.cancer.net) brings the expertise and resources of ASCO to people living with cancer and those who care for and care about them. Cancer.Net provides timely, comprehensive information to help patients and families make informed health care decisions. Cancer.Net is supported by the Conquer Cancer Foundation.
ASCO offers a collection of oncologist-approved patient education materials, called ASCO Answers. All materials ship free and members receive a 20% discount. Order copies for your practice today.
Patient Education Materials Available Through ASCO:
- ASCO Answers Guides to Cancer: These comprehensive, patient-friendly guides contain trusted information about the diagnosis, treatment, side effects, and psychosocial effects of a specific cancer and allow patients to record the specifics of their individual diagnosis and treatment plan. The guides also include questions for patients to ask their health care team.
- ASCO Answers Guide to Cancer Survivorship: This resource helps patients better understand survivorship, including its psychological, physical, sexual, reproductive, financial, and work-related challenges. It also includes a blank treatment summary and survivorship care form that patients can fill out with the help of their health care team and recommendations for follow-up care.
- Fact Sheets: A one-page (front and back) introduction of a specific type of cancer or cancer-related topic, including an overview of the subject, terms to know, and questions to ask the doctor.
- Advanced Cancer Care Planning: A booklet designed to help people with advanced cancer and their families understand the diagnosis and treatment options, discuss these options for care throughout the course of the illness, and find support
- Managing the Cost of Cancer Care: A booklet containing information, tools, and resources to help patients manage the financial impact of a cancer diagnosis.
- Managing Your Weight After a Cancer Diagnosis: This booklet empowers patients to talk with their health care team about losing weight and find resources to help them reach their goals.
- Palliative Care: A booklet to help patients and families improve their quality of life after a cancer diagnosis
- Stopping Tobacco Use After a Cancer Diagnosis: A booklet that explains how patients can talk with their health care team about their tobacco use, the health benefits of quitting, various methods patients can use to quit using tobacco, and lists of helpful resources, including help lines and mobile apps. Available in both English and Spanish.
- ASCO Care and Treatment Recommendations for Patients: Information for patients based on ASCO's Clinical Practice Guidelines for physicians.
- patientACCESS: ASCO and the Conquer Cancer Foundation are pleased to provide patients being treated for cancer and their caregivers with free access to medical research articles published in ASCO’s two journals: Journal of Clinical Oncology.