International Palliative Care Workshops
ASCO collaborates with oncology societies around the world to deliver education about palliative care to health care providers.
The International Palliative Care Workshops (IPCW) aim to teach participants communication skills, pain assessment methods and how to manage medications, comprehensive care and symptom management, how to deliver bad news, and strategies to implement palliative care services in their hospital and in regional hospitals.
The ASCO International Palliative Care Workshop utilizes the EPEC-O: The Education in Palliative and End-of-Life Care for Oncology Curriculum and other materials to teach physicians, nurses, social workers, and others skills in palliative care within their countries.
What our attendees are saying…
As a result of attending IPCW…
- “I’m working on a national level to promote the development of PC services in hospitals around the country – I use many of the slide presentations to convince others.” -Turkey
- “I spend time listening to my patients and try as much as possible to tell them about their conditions with emphasis on possible outcome with regards to terminal cases. I have also tried to influence my colleagues at work to develop such attitudes in their practice.” -Ghana
- “I have after the workshop been impressing on my head of department on the need for us to ensure adequate stocks of oral morphine as well as other medicines.” –Ghana
Workshops in 2014:
Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium:
|October 24-25, 2014||Boston, Massachusetts, USA|
The Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium will focus on the integration of palliative care into cancer care across the trajectory of the illness, and will present insights into:
- The management of treatment- and disease-related symptoms
- Models of integrated health care delivery
- Animal models of toxicity and pharmacogenomics of symptoms
- Symptoms and quality-of-life concerns for cancer survivors
Visit pallonc.org for more information on this exciting new Symposium.
Palliative Care Resource Center:
ASCO has launched a palliative care resource center to provide a central location for a range of reference materials for physicians and patients. To visit ASCO’s palliative care resource center, go to www.asco.org/pallonc.
- Use pain assessment tools and methods or medications for patients’ pain management.
- Provide comprehensive care and symptom management.
- Communicate with patients’ families about palliative care and coping with bad news.
- Help implement palliative care services in their hospital and in regional hospitals.
- 78% of survey respondents reported making practice changes based on what they learned at the course.
- 71% of respondents said they have improved their communication approach with patients and their families.
- 64% said they have improved their ability to administer pain relief.
Host a Workshop in Your Country:
ASCO collaborates with organizations around the world to organize training courses that seek to improve cancer patient care within countries and across regions. If your organization is interested in applying to ASCO to organize an International Palliative Care Workshop, you can download the application form and funding request form. Please send the completed application and all required attachments listed in the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. ASCO staff are available at email@example.com to explain the application process and to answer any questions. Thank you for your interest.