The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is dedicated to advancing the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer through education and research.
The integrity of ASCO’s programs is strengthened by the management of potential conflicts of interest. As a continuing medical education provider accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), and signatory to the Council of Medical Specialty Societies’ Code for Interactions with Companies, ASCO strives for balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all of its activities through appropriate disclosure and management of financial interests, among other things. The ASCO Policy for Relationships with Companies (Conflict of Interest Policy) is intended to help guide the management of potential conflicts, primarily through disclosure of all financial or other interests that might be construed as resulting in actual, potential, or apparent conflicts. ASCO’s Conflict of Interest Policy has been in existence since 1994 and was updated in July 1996, November 2002, March 2005, and April 2013.
ASCO requires the participants in its activities —and all committee and Board members— to disclose financial interests or other relationships with for profit health care companies. ASCO’s Policy does not create a presumption of impropriety in the existence of financial interests or other relationships with companies. Although the ASCO Policy relies primarily on disclosure of financial and other interests, it also recognizes that some financial relationships cannot be managed with disclosure alone.
ASCO Conflict of Interest Policy
- Policy for Relationships with Companies (Published in JCO)
- JCO Editorial on Conflict of Interest Policy Implementation
- Background and Rationale for 2013 Policy Update (Published in JCO)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other COI Policies
- Implementation Plan to Manage Relationships with Companies for CME Activities
- Conflict of Interest Policy Implementation for ASCO Leadership
- Conflict of Interest Policy Implementation for CancerLinQ
- Conflict of Interest Policy Implementation for Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Conflict of Interest Policy Implementation for Quality Measures
- Conflict of Interest Management Procedures for Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Conflict of Interest Policy for Officers, Directors, and Key Employees
- Financial Conflict of Interest Policy for PHS-Funded Research
For further information: